Below is the revised dress
code for Butterfield families. We believe that students who are
dressed appropriately for school are less distracted and less distracting
to others. Thank you for supporting our efforts to keep Butterfield
a safe learning environment in which all students can learn and achieve
their maximum potential.
Butterfield Dress Code
The safety of our
students at Butterfield is a primary focus. For this reason, we feel the need to
set a standard for appropriate school dress. The Butterfield Administration reserves
the right to prohibit any clothing that it perceives to be gang related or may conceal any
item that may be dangerous. We all need to work together to reduce the impact of
this problem in our community; therefore, we ask that all visitors to our campus, adults
and children, become role models and follow our dress code.
Students should be neat, clean and modestly dressed at school or school sponsored activities.
Footwear must be worn at all times and be safe and appropriate for activities in
which students are participating.
Hats, caps and head coverings may be worn for outside activities
only; bills must be facing forward.
The following will not be allowed at Butterfield:
- Ripped, heavily patched types of clothing, "baggies" and bandanas
- "Sagging" clothes
- Excessively short, tight or revealing clothing. Shirts should
appropriately cover the shoulders and torso and fit under the arms.
They should not expose any part of the torso at any time.
- Undergarments which are exposed
- Clothing or accessories which advertise drugs or alcohol or that are rude, offensive,
or suggestive in nature
- Untucked shirts which extend below the thumbs or longer than shorts/skirts
- Excessively long belts (all belts must be within belt loops)
- Inappropriate amounts or colors of makeup, including for the hair or nails, which may be
All staff members have the right to interpret and enforce these guidelines in the
school setting. Students who do not follow the dress code may be asked to call home or change
into appropriate clothing provided by the school.
Thank you for your support,
The Butterfield Staff